To apply for an academic visitor certificate of registration (licence) you must submit a completed and notarized application form.
Please contact the College's Registration department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-961-6555 to apply for an academic visitor licence.
Applicant fees include a non-refundable application fee ($150), plus a registration fee ($750). Payment must be received before the College can issue your licence.
*All fees must be made in Canadian dollars.
You can make your payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Amex) or certified cheque made payable to The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
- You have a university degree in dentistry that proves the successful completion of an education in dental studies of at least four years.
- You have an established academic career and can prove current employment in a dental teaching and/or research position at a university dental faculty/school outside out of Ontario.
- You have been appointed a temporary position of no more than 12 months in an Ontario university dentistry faculty/school providing undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate dental education and/or research.
- You must provide the College with an undertaking that states:
- You will meet the expectations of your temporary academic position in an Ontario university (requirement 3).
- You will return to your original academic position at a university outside of Ontario (requirement 2) once your Academic Visitor licence expires.
- You demonstrate the ability to speak and write English or French with reasonable fluency.
- You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to engage in the practise of dentistry in Canada.
- If you are or were licensed as a dentist and practised dentistry in another jurisdiction in Canada or in another country, you are not or have not been disciplined, suspended, had your licence revoked or the subject of a finding of professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity.
- You must pay the applicable fees.
- You have not been charged and/or convicted of a criminal offense in any Canadian or international jurisdiction.
Limitations of an Academic Visitor Licence
- An academic licence only permits the practice of dentistry in:
- A university dentistry faculty/school and/or its affiliated teaching facility which you have been appointed a teaching or research position.
- An academic licence automatically expires 12 months from the date it was issued, unless it has been extended by the College’s Registration Committee.
- An academic licence is automatically revoked if:
- Your academic appointed position expires, is terminated or withdrawn
- You cease to hold an appointed teaching or research position at an Ontario university faculty/school of dentistry.
- Dentists with an academic licence may not charge fees for any services within the scope of practice of dentistry.
All information is subject to change. Applications will be governed by the regulations, and College by-laws and policies in place at the time of submission. If there is any discrepancy information, the requirements stated in regulations shall prevail.