Discipline Hearings Update
In response to the efforts to minimize the risk of the transmission of COVID-19, scheduled Hearings will be conducted electronically at this time. Please contact the Hearings office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend a hearing.
Our Discipline Committee proceedings are open and transparent. We welcome and encourage members of the public to attend hearings as observers. The hearing schedule is publicly available on our site.
We hold hearings at the College and they begin at 9:00 a.m. unless otherwise stated. Hearing dates and times are subject to change, so observers should check the schedule prior to attending.
Attending a hearing
- All College visitors must sign in and out at the reception desk in the lobby. You should arrive at least 10 minutes before the hearing starts to ensure entry.
- Turn off your cell phone before entering the hearing room. You cannot use electronic devices (e.g. cell phones, cameras, audio recording) during the hearing and cannot take photographs while on site.
- The terms of any publication ban will be posted on the door of the hearing room. Visitors must comply with the terms.
- If the doors to the hearing room are closed, or if you need to leave during the proceedings, enter the room during an appropriate break.
- When the Discipline panel enters the hearing room, everyone in the room must rise and remain standing until the chair invites you to be seated.
- Don't talk/whisper during the hearing.
- No food or beverages are permitted in the hearing room.
- Generally, hearings have a lunch break, as well as a morning and afternoon break. The timing of breaks varies and is at the discretion of the Discipline panel.
- During breaks, visitors must remain in the public gallery of the hearing room or in the foyer outside the hearing room. You cannot access other areas of the College.
- Visitors should refrain from using scented products when attending a hearing to comply with the College’s scent-free guidelines.
- Witnesses will be escorted by the hearings administrator to a private waiting area until they are called upon. The hearings clerk will escort witnesses into the hearing room where they are sworn in or affirmed.
- After giving testimony, witnesses are excused from the hearing room by the panel.
Communication with hearing participants
- You may not approach any participants during the hearing. Direct questions or requests to the hearings clerk during a break in the proceedings
Obtaining hearing documents and information
- Contact the hearings clerk in writing to obtain a copy of documents entered as exhibits during the hearing. Some information may be redacted for privacy reasons and information subject to a publication ban will not be provided.
- The Discipline panel’s decision and reasons will be available on the College’s website when they are issued.
If you have any questions about these procedures or about attending a discipline hearing, please contact email@example.com.
Media inquiries should be directed to Kevin Marsh, Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-934-4330.